Dec 22, 2011, 11:07 AM EDT
Some fun facts about Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s new president following the death of his father, Kim Jong Il: He attended prep school in Switzerland in the 1990s, spent most of his time obsessed with basketball and computer games, never passed an exam, and loved Michael Jordan. And his nickname in school was Un Dim.
Wearing Nike trainers, a Chicago Bulls sweatshirt and jeans, he was introduced to Class 6A by the headmistress of Liebefeld-Steinholzi School near Berne. She lied: “Boys and girls, this is Un Pak. He comes from North Korea and he is the son of a diplomat.”
North Korean schools are swell, I’m sure, but Un’s dad sent his son to prep school in Switzerland, where he didn’t do so hot. When he was 15, Jong Un was transferred from the ultra expensive International School Of Berne to the nearby state-run Liebefeld-Steinholzi School. There he met a Portuguese diplomat’s son, Joao Micaelo, who recalls what Jong Un was like. They hung out in the dorm a lot, for instance.
“But, curiously, I never saw his room. We were mostly in the communal living room. We watched a lot of kung-fu films — especially Jackie Chan movies. He loved them. He had everything which we never saw coming close to our own cinema.
“After school we met at the basketball court and threw a few baskets, with both of us pretending to be Michael Jordan. We were all envious of his genuine NBA basketball, which must have cost more than £100.
“We spoke about girls and about our grand plans. At weekends there were parties and a lot of under-age drinking. But I never once saw a drop of alcohol pass his lips and he wasn’t interested in girls.”
Obsessed with basketball and video games? Terrible in class? Sounds like half the college population in the U.S. But the part about never drinking and not being interested in girls … quite disturbing. May God have mercy on the world.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut