Dec 21, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
Now that Moneyball has proven you can make a profitable baseball movie that isn’t really about baseball, we’re going to now get 42, a movie about Jackie Robinson, Branch Rickey and ending segregation in MLB. And who will be this film’s Brad Pitt? Legendary Pictures announced recently that they’ve landed Harrison Ford to play Rickey. Yep, it’s like they’re twins! Chadwick Boseman (Persons Unknown, Justified) will play Robinson.
While this project has “Directed by Clint Eastwood” written all over it, apparently Clint passed on it to make the enthralling (may be sarcasm) J. Edgar. So 42 is actually being directed by Brian Helgeland, for Warner Bros. Helgeland is a first-time director who wrote the screenplays for Mystic River, Man On Fire and Green Zone.
A movie on Robinson is a project that has bounced around Hollywood for more than a decade, with Robert Redford once rumored to be attached to play Rickey. But Warner Bros. evidently said “We need the Blade Runner.” How will Ford fare? (Glances dismissively at Robinson) “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”
Jackie Robinson movie to star Ford, Boseman [MLB.com]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found