Dec 19, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
More than 7,800 fans so far have signed an online petition to urge the Denver Broncos to make an It Gets Better video in support of gay and lesbian youth. Several MLB teams, among then the Giants and the Red Sox, have made IGT videos, and the Seattle Seahawks in August became the first NFL team to do so.
Andy Szekeres of Denver organized the Broncos petition, and one has to think that its inspired by Tim Tebow, who would be a huge ‘get.’
“It would really be an amazing thing for Tebow and the Broncos to do to really say ‘We may have differences on abortion and gay marriage, but stopping kids from killing themselves is an issue we can all get behind,’” petition organizer and Broncos fan Andy Szekeres told USA Today.
From the petition site:
We are urging the Denver Broncos to set an example for the rest of the Colorado teams by making an “It Gets Better” video. The It Gets Better campaign started last fall following the alarming number of gay teen suicides around the country. The “It Gets Better Project” is a website and organization dedicated to helping “young people who are lesbian, gay, bi or transsexual see how love and happiness can be a reality in their future.” We hope the Broncos will continue fostering its impressive record of community service by taking it to a new level.
No word so far from Tebow and the Broncos.
Fans petition Broncos, Tim Tebow to support gay youth [USA Today]
Tim Tebow, Denver Broncos Being Petitioned To Join ‘It Gets Better’ [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found