Dec 15, 2011, 7:40 PM EDT
You knew it was going to happen: the only question was which Republican Presidential candidate would be the first to co-opt Tebowmania for his or her campaign push. Our winner: Rick Perry, which actually makes sense. Perry’s lagging in the polls, has low expectations and needs to begin a winning streak. Also like Tebow, not much accuracy.
So at the GOP debate in Sioux City Thursday night, Perry went right to work, doing everything except getting down on the stage and Tebowing. Um, he didn’t do that, did he?
“There are a lot of folks that said Tim Tebow wasn’t going to be a very good NFL quarterback. There are people that stood up and said, well he doesn’t have the right throwing mechanisms, or he’s not playing the game right,” Perry said. “And he won two national championships, and that looked pretty good. We were the national champions in job creation back in Texas. And so, am I ready for the next level? Let me tell you, I hope I am the Tim Tebow of the Iowa caucuses.”
That’s great. But now, next in the draft, Newt Gingrich chooses to be TJ Yates, and Mitt Romney gets Alex Smith. The winner faces Drew Brees (Barack Obama) in the general election.
Rick Perry compares himself to Tim Tebow at Iowa debate [Los Angeles Times]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games