Dec 15, 2011, 6:55 PM EDT
Sure, the issue of prayer in public school is a touchy subject. But what of Tebowing in public school? Four students at Long Island’s Riverhead High School — including three varsity football players — have been suspended for Tebowing in the halls (see photo), which they were apparently doing pretty much nonstop for three straight days.
Brothers Tyler and Connor Carroll, and their friends Jordan Fulcoly and Wayne Drexel were all given one day of in-school suspension Wednesday after three days of getting on one knee and bringing their fists to their forehead like Mr. Tebow’s signature move.
“We’ve been doing it all week,” said Tyler Carroll of Calverton. “We started on Monday. We saw Tebow doing it and thought it would be funny. More people saw and started to join in. It was really catching fire.”
The school is saying they have no problem with the Tebowing, per se, except that it caused a “dangerous situation” in the hallways, blocking students from getting to class. I suspect a much deeper, philosophical conspiracy, but then I always do. Please ignore my rantings.
Carroll says the suspension was a bit unfair, and despite the school’s claim to the contrary, he and his friends were never told to stop.
“The administration told us that our Tebowing was blocking the halls and could potentially cause a riot, because they were growing in number and if the wrong kid gets pushed a brawl could ensue,” Carroll told Prep Rally. “We had no idea that we could get suspended for such a thing. It was a joke between a group of friends that took a life of its own. We figured at the most we would just be told to stop.”
Video: Riverhead students suspended for Tebow impersonation [Riverhead News Review]
New York Teens suspended for Tebowing in school hallway [Prep Rally]
Rick Perry at debate: ‘I hope I am the Tim Tebow of the Iowa caucuses’ [Off the Bench]
Is the new beer ‘Tebrew Sunday Sipper’ mocking God? [Off the Bench]
Tebow for President? Guess who is more popular in Iowa poll than any Republican Presidential candidate? [Off the Bench]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Traditions of the Preakness Stakes
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness