Dec 8, 2011, 2:04 PM EST
Now I’m no copyright attorney, as far as I know. But I find this Nathan’s Giant Hamburgers advertising display to be just a little bit of a ripoff of the Oakland Raiders’ logo and trademark. Especially since the ad is on a billboard right next to O.co Coliseum, home of the Raiders.
And the Raiders agree. Even though Al Davis is no longer with us, his litigious nature still haunts the organization: They’re suing Nation’s for trademark infringement and unfair business practices. See the lawsuit details here (pdf).
Raid a Nation’s … get it?
The “Raid a Nation’s” slogan is an obvious reference to the famous Raider Nation mark that identifies the Raiders and their loyal fans.The advertisement is easily visible to thousands of game day fans, as well as countless others who drive by the complex every day.
To add insult to injury, Nation’s also altered its own logo — the cartoon hamburger — by putting an eyepatch on it, similar to the one worn by the Raider’s logo character. “The unmistakable, overall message is that Nation ’s and the Raiders have a marketing or sponsorship relationship of some kind when, in fact, the opposite is true,” the team says.
I would think that such a billboard would be advantageous to both organizations. But since the Raiders don’t, I can see their point of view as well. I wouldn’t have a problem with the ad if Nation’s hadn’t have used the Raiders colors and font … not to mention the eyepatch.
Even though I live in Northern California, I’ve never met anyone who’s actually eaten at a Nation’s. Now, In ‘n Out Burger on the other hand … if they mess with that, they’ll have an Occupy Wall Street situation on their hands.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found