Nov 30, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
He’s known only as @Pistol_Pete82, a self-employed California resident who is rooting like crazy for the Colts to finish winless this season. A big Andrew Luck fan? Nope, more like a big fan of large stacks of money. Pete will win $10,000 on a $10 bet if the Colts finish 0-16, according to the site Beyond the Bets.
On Aug. 23, reports the site, Pete plunked down $10 with an offshore sportsbook on the Colts going winless this season, getting 1,000-1 odds. And that was before Peyton Manning announced that he would be out for the season — there was still some talk that he might play in the opener.
“My rationale was simple: Peyton has made a ton of money in his career already, why chance it if this thing is serious?” Pete said in an e-mail to BTB. “We’re not talking about some ligament damage in a knee, we are talking about his spine and neck. There is no way a multi-million dollar enterprise like Peyton, Inc., is going to take any chances or rush a neck injury.”
Now his wager is looking pretty sweet: the 0-11 Colts passed two of their biggest tests, losing to Jacksonville and Carolina in the past two weeks. And things don’t look good for them over the next two — at New England and at Baltimore. Then it’s home vs. Tennessee and Houston and at Jacksonville to end the season.
And if he wins the $10,000?
“I think I would try and convince my wife to let me take a few grand to Vegas for the NFL playoffs, pay a bill or two, and give the kids a solid christmas bonus,” Pete said. “Aside from taxes, of course.”
California Man Will Win $10,000 On $10 Bet If The Colts Go 0-16 [Sports Grid]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead