Nov 29, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
Yes, that Kurt Warner. The former St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals quarterback; owner of a Super Bowl ring; devout Christian. The man who said that God told him to sign with the Cardinals. The man once quoted thusly: “If you ever really want to do a story about who I am, God’s got to be at the center of it. Every time I hear a piece or read a story that doesn’t have that, they’re missing the whole lesson of who I am.”
That man, is telling Tim Tebow that he should probably tone down all the religious talk. Warner, to the Arizona Republic:
“There’s almost a faith cliche, where (athletes) come out and say, ‘I want to thank my Lord and savior.’ As soon as you say that, the guard goes up, the walls go up, and I came to realize you have to be more strategic.
“You can’t help but cheer for a guy like that,” Warner said of Tebow. “But I’d tell him, ‘Put down the boldness in regards to the words, and keep living the way you’re living. Let your teammates do the talking for you. Let them cheer on your testimony.’
“I know what he’s going through, and I know what he wants to accomplish, but I don’t want anybody to become calloused toward Tim because they don’t understand him, or are not fully aware of who he is. And you’re starting to see that a little bit.”
That’s something, coming from Warner … a man who is so familiar with God and Jesus, he can sketch each of them from memory.
That video is from a couple of years ago, and I’m still not sure what those shoulder things are that Warner is drawing. Some sort of flying device? Does Jesus have a jet pack? How long before we get those? Come on Christ, share the wealth — you’re not the only one with important appointments across town.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Man arrested for shooting at his lawnmower while drunk: “He then stated that he shoots in the yard all the time and that fighting is what redneck people do,” records state. …
- P. Diddy’s son commits to UCLA football. Either he knows something about who the next coach will be, or he enjoys surprises.
- Shannon Sharpe is an alien hunter on American Dad.
- Victoria Secret model Lily Aldridge drops by NFL Today.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Don’t bother, Kelly — PETA has the place surrounded.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found