Nov 29, 2011, 10:41 AM EDT
Not a sports post, I know — unless you consider it motorsports. But it’s not every day that a (completely true) headline like this comes along, so just enjoy the ride. As you can see in this photo, the Holy Scofflaw is indeed not wearing a seat belt in the Popemobile during his visit to Freiburg, Germany, last week — a fact that did not go unnoticed by German authorities. So any day now, the Pope will be receiving a Notice to Appear in the mail.
Video evidence would prove Benedict XVI was not wearing his seat belt “for more than hour”, the unnamed plaintiff’s lawyer Johannes Sundermann said.
He faced a fine of around £30 if convicted, Mr Sundermann added.
However, another German lawyer said: “The Pope is head of state of the Vatican, so it is highly likely he will be granted diplomatic immunity.”
Who would have thought that Germans would be such sticklers for rules?
It’s always so embarrassing when the Pope comes out in the morning and one of the wheels on the Popemobile has been booted. Oh well, time to improvise: the show must go on.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found