Nov 28, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
There’s a scene in an episode of The Simpsons, I forget which one exactly, in which Ned Flanders misses a putt in mini golf, and then looks to the sky. NED: “God, it’s me, Ned …” God then reaches down from the clouds and flicks the ball into the hole. Apparently that’s the way Tim Tebow thinks things work in sporting events. And who knows, maybe he’s right.
During overtime on Sunday, when the Chargers lined up for a potential game-winning 53-yard field goal against the Broncos, Tebow admitted that he couldn’t watch it. Instead, he was praying.
“I can’t say I saw too much of it,” Tebow said. “I was praying.”
Praying for a miss?
“I might have said that,” Tebow laughed. “Or maybe a block. Maybe all of it.”
When your typical athlete says he prayed for an opponent to fail, you just kind of take it with a grain of salt. But when Tim Tebow — who is serious about religion and believes this prayer stuff actually works — says it, it’s kind of off-putting. Is this the way you’re supposed to use prayer?
Check out this photo. “Thanks for making that field goal miss, God!”
On the other hand, we’ve all known that God has been against the Chargers for several years now.
Meanwhile, former Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer expanded on his comments from last week about Tebow’s God talk.
“I can think back to when I was a kid watching sports – me and my brothers were big sports fans – it always seemed to trivialize that importance of a relationship of that sort that people had with Jesus Christ or with God. Whatever it was it seemed to be an inappropriate place to bring it up after a football game or a basketball game or whatever, but I am not dissing the guy for his beliefs. He obviously is a good kid. He’s got a lot of strong morals and values – it’s just I’ll TiVo it and then I’ll mute it. I don’t have to hear it. It’s our option. We can listen if we want.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Gronk has successful surgery
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'