Did Tim Tebow pray for the Chargers to miss a field goal in overtime?

Nov 28, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT

Tim Tebow AP

There’s a scene in an episode of The Simpsons, I forget which one exactly, in which Ned Flanders misses a putt in mini golf, and then looks to the sky. NED: “God, it’s me, Ned …” God then reaches down from the clouds and flicks the ball into the hole. Apparently that’s the way Tim Tebow thinks things work in sporting events. And who knows, maybe he’s right.

During overtime on Sunday, when the Chargers lined up for a potential game-winning 53-yard field goal against the Broncos, Tebow admitted that he couldn’t watch it. Instead, he was praying.

“I can’t say I saw too much of it,” Tebow said. “I was praying.”

Praying for a miss?

“I might have said that,” Tebow laughed. “Or maybe a block. Maybe all of it.”

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
When your typical athlete says he prayed for an opponent to fail, you just kind of take it with a grain of salt. But when Tim Tebow — who is serious about religion and believes this prayer stuff actually works — says it, it’s kind of off-putting. Is this the way you’re supposed to use prayer?

Check out this photo. “Thanks for making that field goal miss, God!”

On the other hand, we’ve all known that God has been against the Chargers for several years now.

Meanwhile, former Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer expanded on his comments from last week about Tebow’s God talk.

“I can think back to when I was a kid watching sports – me and my brothers were big sports fans – it always seemed to trivialize that importance of a relationship of that sort that people had with Jesus Christ or with God. Whatever it was it seemed to be an inappropriate place to bring it up after a football game or a basketball game or whatever, but I am not dissing the guy for his beliefs. He obviously is a good kid. He’s got a lot of strong morals and values – it’s just I’ll TiVo it and then I’ll mute it. I don’t have to hear it. It’s our option. We can listen if we want.”

1. mrf47 - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM

It was actually a bowling pin that God knocked over for Ned. Ned’s team, the “Holy Rollers” would eventually succumb to Homer and the “Pin Pals”, anchored by Mr. Burns.

• Rick Chandler - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Thanks. +1 for the correction, and +2 for Simpsons knowledge.

• projectshadow316 - Dec 3, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Logged in to say the same thing in regards to mrf47.

2. lewp - Nov 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I would imagine God has more things to be concerned with other than if someone makes a field goal or not.

I also think Tim Tebow is pretty cool on how he answers questions about his personal beliefs.

I’m kinda liking the guy…

3. koufaxmitzvah - Nov 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

Isn’t there a passage that says one should not listen to those who preach G-d’s greatness in the streets, but that holiest are those who silently practice the words of G-d?

4. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM

It would seem that God is indeed overly focused on Tebow’s career, since s/he doesn’t seem to give a crap about kids being abused, moms starving in Third World sums, people unemployed and/or homeless, etc etc etc. As Woody Allen said, “I’ve always thought of God as being an underachiever.” But seriously, prayer and religious faith do work to the extent that they give the person praying additional confidence to face a difficult situation. It is otherwise of little value, unless the goal is also to annoy nonbelievers.

5. anatheistreacts - Nov 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM

Perhaps the devil would be more apt to listen to prayers for a foe’s ruination? Dear God, please smite the football with all thy mite so that it shall not goeth through the posts. Show these heathens from San Diego that Denver is a true and godly town; worthy of your fandom!

6. projectshadow316 - Dec 3, 2011 at 11:44 AM

When the Broncos play the Patriots, I imagine this is how’ll a prayer will go for Tebow:

Tebow: Please god, let us beat the Patriots today.

Belichick: I COACH the team. Why the hell would I want to lose to you, or anyone for that matter?