Wakeup Call: Nothing to see here … just a player scoring a single-game Div. III basketball record 89 points (video)
Nov 24, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Forgive me if you’ve heard about this already, but I couldn’t head into the Thanksgiving weekend without noting that a guy scored 89 points in a Div. III basketball game. Griffin Lentsch, a 6-foot-4 junior guard at Grinnell College in Iowa, scored 89 against Principia College on Saturday. And that’s a Div. III record (the old mark was 77 by Jeff Clement — also of Grinnell — in 1998). Grinnell won, 145-97.
Lentsch’s total is third all-time in all of NCAA, placing only behind the 112-point production by Clarence “Bevo” Francis of Rio Grande in 1954 and the 100-point output by Frank Selvy of Furman, also in 1954.
Lentsch finished 27-of-55 from the field, including 15-of-33 from 3-point land. The 15 treys rank ninth-best in all of NCAA. He was also an amazing 20-of-22 from the free-throw line, with the made number of free throws a Grinnell record.
Oh, and he can dunk.
And how about a 6-foot 4-inch high jump?
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
- ESPN geography Fail. Who can spot the error?
- Clint Eastwood is making a baseball movie.
A TRADITIONAL THANKSGIVING STORY (GATHER THE KIDS)
[From Wikipedia] Richard Simmons is a fitness expert who promotes weight-loss programs. He has starred in a well-known line of fitness videos and has appeared on many television programs. Simmons was also a frequent guest at one time on Late Night with David Letterman. However, on November 22, 2000, Simmons had a falling out with Letterman after an incident that occurred on that night’s show. Simmons (while dressed as a turkey) was sprayed in the face by Letterman with a fire extinguisher after Simmons grabbed Letterman as if to hug or kiss him, causing Simmons to have a severe asthma attack. Simmons did not appear again on the show for six years.
(Fun fact: The other guest on that show was Giselle Bundchen).
Light posting today (in theory — who knows what might happen). Enjoy the football, and other stuff.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
The talking wolf! That’s the second-rarest square on your Mark Trail Bingo card (first is Mark with mussed-up hair).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found