Nov 21, 2011, 9:00 AM EST
A White House spokesman is downplaying it, but ESPN video clearly caught the crowd booing First Lady Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden at Sunday’s NASCAR Ford 400 Sprint Cup season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Their crime? Appearing as part of their charitable campaign to support military veterans and their families. The two were standing next retired Army Sgt. Andrew Barry and his family when they were introduced, drawing boos.
Or, as ABC News put it:
But their benign, bipartisan cause wasn’t enough to prevent public fallout from the nation’s polarized political climate as they were introduced before the crowd.
ESPN video from the event documented loud boos from some in the stands as the announcer named Obama and Biden, seconds before they delivered the “most famous words in motorsports,” telling drivers to start their engines.
“Dear baby infant Jesus, please bless this bounty of KFC, Taco Bell and Dominoes pizza, and tell the First Lady we do not appreciate her charity work on behalf of wounded veterans. Shake and bake, amen.”
The two did, however, receive a standing ovation at the pre-race driver’s meeting on Sunday.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Sugar Plum Fairy fired for swearing, wearing hot pants …
- A salute to the late Larry Munson, who broadcast Georgia Bulldogs football for four decades … and played piano for Frank Sinatra?
- WWE trying to get an NBA player or two for Wrestlemania 28.
- Let the fines begin … 49ers Dashon Golston fights with Arizona’s Early Doucet.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
“… You’re eating some of them now.”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found