Nov 14, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
You may recall last week when the 49ers played at the Redskins, and Jim Harbaugh took the team for a tour of Arlington National Cemetery, which included a visit to the Tomb of the Unknowns. Conducting that tour was Sgt. Dontae Skywalker, whom the 49ers also invited to be on the sideline for the game. Harbaugh was so impressed with the tour that he did something else for the following Sunday vs. the NY Giants.
“We heard that name and we said we have to name a play after this guy, so we did.”
The 49ers unveiled their “Skywalker” pass play on Sunday, and it netted 16 yards in the third quarter.
Tight ends Delanie Walker and Vernon Davis ran streak routes down the middle of the field. Ted Ginn, lined up wide to the right side, ran a comeback route. Quarterback Alex Smith hit Ginn with a 16-yard pass along the 49ers’ sideline.
Thankfully the Skywalker play was not the pass which hit Ginn in the helmet and ricocheted into the arms of a Giants defender for an interception. Because that would have been embarrassing for everyone.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found