Nov 9, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Students are guarding the Joe Paterno statue outside of Beaver Stadium at this hour, in case you were thinking of going over there to try and deface it. There were demonstrations last night, police in riot gear showed up … it all should have made Paterno a little nostalgic for the protest culture of the 1960s, when he first became the head football coach. Or it would have, if students were doing it right.
Protesters brought signs including one with the slogan “We Support the Lions,” another held aloft a framed sketch of Paterno. A life-size cutout of Penn State’s coach was held next to his bronze likeness.
Kyle Patterson (freshman-broadcast journalism) expressed satisfaction that students have shown their solidarity with Paterno, and have separated the Sandusky scandal with this year’s football team.
“There is a big football game this weekend, and we’re in the running for a Big Ten Championship,” Patterson said. “We are not going to let this bring us down.”
Paterno just announced that he will retire at the end of this season. It’s still up in the air as to whether he’ll make it that far. But when he’s in the locker room during pre-game this Saturday, talking about honor and commitment and doing what’s right in the eyes of your teammates, your family and God above, I hope he uses air quotes when he uses certain phrases. Because they would sound hollow and pathetic coming from him otherwise.
Many college kids never seem to get this: Deifying a man is dangerous, because men have feet of clay. Especially, it seems, when they have their own statue.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while taking your alligator to church …
- Penn State scandal: Tim Curley’s lawyer isn’t helping.
- Before they played the Redskins on Sunday, Jim Harbaugh took the 49ers to the Tomb on the Unknown Soldiers.
- Tyler Hansbrough wants to dance! (God help us).
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
I can’t speak for others, but I’m not flocking anywhere just to see a moose and a duck.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found