Nov 8, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Oh, that old story. Meet Chris Birch, 26, who claims that after a gym accident and subsequent stroke, he woke up gay. According to the London Daily Mail, Birch had been a 265-pound rugby enthusiast who was engaged to be married — to a woman — and worked in a bank. But after waking in the hospital following his stroke, he suddenly felt, well, fabulous.
“I wasn’t interested in women any more. I was definitely gay,” Birch said. “I had never been attracted to a man before. I’d never even had any gay friends. But I didn’t care about who I was before, I had to be true to my feelings.”
Birch immediately started losing weight, quit his job at the bank and became a hairdresser, according to the Daily Mail.
Chris retrained as a hairdresser and now lives with his partner Jack Powell, 19, above the salon in which he works.
He sought advice from his neurologist who said the changes in his personality could be due to the stroke opening up a different part of his brain.
This would be easier to believe it it wasn’t so cliche: there are plenty of gay men who aren’t thin hairdressers. Some even play rugby. But this story is the darling of the British tabloids this morning.
And it’s, not surprisingly, touching a nerve already. Because if human sexuality is proven to be determined on a strictly neurological basis, well, that puts a lot of anti-gay fundamentalists out of business. Now, who needs a perm?
Burly rugby player has a stroke after freak gym accident… wakes up gay and becomes a hairdresser [London Daily Mail]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte