Nov 7, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
So if you’re going to rob a motel, you probably shouldn’t pick one that’s full of MMA fighters. A man trying to escape with stolen loot in a Los Angeles motel robbery was intercepted by two trained martial arts fighters coming off of the elevator, which means of course that the robber is now in jail. Brent Alvarez, 33, and Billy Denney, 28, from Oregon, were in town for the World Jiu-Jitsue No-Gi Championship in Long Beach. A man had just robbed the motel clerk at gunpoint, and was attempting to leave when the clerk grabbed him and yelled for help. Alvarez and Denney stepped in, restraining the robber with a martial arts hold until police arrived.
A former hip-hop club bouncer, Alvarez said that 10 years of training in self-defense and defusing conflict kicked in. The suspect didn’t seem to want to hurt them, either, Alvarez said, but kept insisting he did it for his daughter.
The man begged to be released so he could kiss the daughter one last time.
“He wasn’t trying to punch us; he just seemed like someone who had run out of options,” Alvarez said Friday evening. “I think back now and wonder what the hell was I doing? I should of hit him and knocked him out.”
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
Man prepares to pilot lawn chair over Baghdad. I see no way this can end badly.
- They probably shouldn’t line up Mark Sanchez as a receiver in the future.
- Washington DC ESPN Zone auctioning all its stuff. Now you can have your own ESPN Zone in your basement!
- Browns fan yells at stadium. “You are a factory of sadness!”
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Duck turns in story. EDITOR: “This is all jibberish! It’s as if you have no journalism training at all!”
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles