Oct 31, 2011, 12:35 PM EDT
Much garment rending and gnashing of teeth across the pond this weekend over Arsenal striker Robin van Persie, accused of performing a Nazi salute during a goal celebration in Arsenal’s 5-3 upset over Chelsea on Saturday. I don’t know … take a look at the video below and you be the judge.
Now, personally, if you’re going with the Nazi salute, I prefer the shorter version where you simply raise your hand and click your heels, like you saw all the time on Hogan’s Heroes. I think that was their indoor salute. The indoor salute is just saying: “Hi, we’re evil, but it’s cold outside and lunch is ready.” The full-blown, outstretched arm salute is saying “Let’s invade Belgium.” That one’s not good.
But Van Persie says he’s not guilty.
“It has been brought to my attention of some ridiculous allegations concerning my celebration of one of my goals,’ wrote Van Persie on his Twitter account.
“It is totally ludicrous to suggest that my action of brushing my shoulder could be construed as anything else but a showing of joy and celebration.
Here’s a gif that makes it look pretty damning, via Who Ate All the Pies (which, by the way, considers the allegations groundless):
I’m no Nazi! Van Persie slams internet rumours over ‘salute’ celebration against Chelsea [London Daily Mail]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found