Oct 26, 2011, 12:47 PM EDT
Everton FC soccer fans are furious at this hour over allegations that Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi was cheating on them during his final days. Being a brutal dictator is bad, but as we all know, there’s nothing lower than a man who would betray his favorite sports team.
Gaddafi had been an Everton fan since the team toured Libya in 1979. But found among items in the bombed-out villa in Libya where the dictator spent his final days in hiding: one Liverpool FC mug. The London Daily Mail says that Gaddafi drank tea from the mug daily, but there’s one problem: Liverpool is Everton’s most bitter rival.
He sipped tea from a Liverpool FC mug, and moaned about the spartan conditions. The fugitives shared a single toilet in the house in Sirte and took food from nearby abandoned homes.
Would Alec Baldwin drink coffee from a Boston Red Sox mug? Would Jerry Jones wear a Redskins beer hat?
Gaddafi’s love of the Toffees is said to have begun when Everton visited Libya on tour in 1979. The dictator was so impressed he immediately changed the Libyan national side’s kit to all-blue, and rewarded each of Gordon Lee’s side with a luxury Arabic carpet.
Ultimate betrayal, or a man getting his just desserts by being forced to drink from a mug bearing the logo of his most hated team? Either way, it should be on eBay any minute now.
Gaddafi Straddled The Liverpudlian Fence [Rumors & Rants]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona