Oct 25, 2011, 10:06 AM EST
Look, apparently there’s no rule that says a soccer ref in the Czech Republic can’t be completely stinking hammered on the job, so play on! (Hic!).
Czech referee Tomas Fidra (seen here) stumbled around the field (falling over several times) during the match against local rivals Jestrabi Lahota and Tynec-Nad-Labem, pausing only to discuss the birthday celebration he had just attended. When some of the players asked if he was alright, Fidra red carded three of them.
“His breath smelt like a brewery and he didn’t hide the fact that he had been celebrating a birthday,” Karel Dusek, an official from the Jestrabi Lhota club, told the Lidove Noviny newspaper.”
With his shirt muddied by his numerous falls, the referee then sent off three Jestrabi players in the game against Tynec-nad-Labem.
“There’s no rule which bans a drunk referee from taking charge of a match. If we had refused to continue to play, we could have been sanctioned.”
With their opponents down to eight men, Jestrabi agreed not to attack in protest of the unfair ejections. It ended in a 1-1 draw, and was later annulled entirely.
But the fun was only beginning when the game ended. Police were summoned, and Fidra’s blood alcohol level registered (wait for it …) a 0.194 — more than nine teams the legal limit in the Czech Republic. He’s facing a one-year ban.
Drunk ref sends off players at random [Yahoo]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found