Oct 7, 2011, 10:09 AM EDT
Miami residents, you’ve done something terrible. I’m not sure what, but it must have been really heinous. And for your sins, you are given this: an outfield contraption from the bowels of hell. Watch it come to life, following the jump. Watch it … WATCH IT! (Maniacal laughter).
This is the thing that will spark to life each time a Miami Marlin hits a home run in their new stadium. It is hideous, confusing, possibly built by the insane. And it is real. Oh yes, it is absolutely real. You thought the new Marlins logo was bad? Oh, you poor deluded sap. From SB Nation:
If Carnival and Las Vegas had a baby, this would be the placenta. If Charlton Heston ever lands on Planet of the Fish, this will be their version of the “It’s a Small World” ride. This is what would happen if Vikings attacked a Gloria Estefan concert by catapulting flamingos and marlins into the pyrotechnics display.
This is not a joke. It’s completely real. The artist is Red Grooms, and according to MLB.com in 2009 …
Grooms is designing a spectacular signature home run feature that will be in the center-field area. Originally from Nashville, Tenn., Grooms now lives in New York. His display will incorporate water, lasers, sound effects and caricatures of Marlins.
Ready? OK, let’s turn this thing on:
Sound effects? Sound effects:
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car