Radio host Howard Eskin said he’d bike from Philly to SF if Eagles lost to 49ers

Oct 3, 2011, 10:14 AM EDT

howardeskin

When you’re a regional radio sports talk host, I suppose that it’s part of the job description to make boastful predictions. But when you turn 60 years old, as Howard Eskin of WIP in Philadelphia did in April, it may not be a good idea to make a bet that involves you riding a bike for 2,530 miles.

Appearing on KNBR radio in San Francisco last week, Eskin was goaded into the bet by Gary Radnich and Larry Krueger. Eskin said he’d ride a bike from Philadelphia to San Francisco if the Eagles lost to the 49ers. Oops.

“I will tell you right now, there is no chance the 49ers will win. Zero,” Eskin said. “I’ll take a bike from Philadelphia to San Francisco [if the 49ers beat the Eagles].

“There’s no way the Eagles go 1-3. None. Absolutely none.”

Here’s the KNBR podcast, with the relevant comments coming in at about the 10:30 mark.

So the question now is, will Eskin make good on his bet? Let’s go to Twitter:

@howardeskin Howard Eskin
@darrenrovell anybody have the best and SHORTEST route. That’s a LONG ride. Is there a san francisco on the east coast
1 hour ago

howardeskin Howard Eskin
@Sherbekow still trying to figure out how they lost the game.
1 hour ago

howardeskin Howard Eskin
That eagles loss is a disgrace! I said it was a “Stone Cold Mortal Lock” but I didn’t realize this team was so inept in so many areas
18 hours ago

howardeskin Howard Eskin
@WhatRobSaid I think I forgot the bet
15 hours ago

Howard Eskin href=”http://twitter.com/#%21/howardeskin” data-user-id=”57680343″>howardeskinHoward Eskin
@jimcramer jim don’t worry about eagles. Stone cold Mortal Lock. No question eagles win!
8:08 AM Oct 2nd

Michael Vick has no comment.

The only thing I can say here is Nov. 12, 1995, 49ers vs. Cowboys … San Francisco Chronicle beat writer Ira Miller appears on KNBR and tells host Ralph Barbieri that the 49ers have “zero chance” to beat the Cowboys. Elvis Grbac was starting at quarterback for SF, after all. Result? SF took a 17-0 lead and won, 38-20.

The moral of the story: When it comes to carbon-based life forms, there is no such thing as a “zero” chance that anything will or will not happen. Please make a note of it.

UPDATE: Eskin to appear on KNBR again this morning at 11:30 a.m. (PT).

UPDATE II: He’s on now. It’s an excuse-fest. I wasn’t that familiar with Eskin before: what a blowhard.

UPDATE III: Eskin’s son is demanding he honor the bet.

1. lewp - Oct 3, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Geeeze how did the Cowboys get involved in this discussion? We have our own fatal meltdowns without being brought into yours….

2. danandcasey - Oct 3, 2011 at 5:13 PM

He said: “I’ll take a bike from Philadelphia to San Francisco [if the 49ers beat the Eagles].” Why not just throw the bike in the back of an SUV and “take” it to San Francisco.

3. tomtravis76 - Oct 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM

It will take about 2 weeks of riding( according to google, and don’t we trust gogle to have all the right info.). He should back it up, and do it next summer, tie it into a charity ride. Opening your mouth could turn into a good radio bit.

4. trbowman - Oct 4, 2011 at 1:58 AM

You gotta live up to your word.

lol, Philly sucks.