Sep 29, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
Just guessing here, but this may not be the first time that Dan Shaughnessy has said something dopey and embarrassing in front of a beautiful woman. It was during the rain delay in the Red Sox-Orioles game on Wednesday night that the Boston Globe columnist took to the NESN airwaves and boldly declared that Boston would live to play another day, because there was no way Tampa Bay could come back from a 7-0 deficit against the Yankees. I mean, such a thing would be physically impossible! No team had ever come back from that many runs down in the history of baseball!
Shaughnessy, in a quote that will likely follow him into the afterlife:
“The Rays are not going to win tonight. The one thing that we have eliminated tonight is that the Red Sox season is not going to end tonight. They live to play another day. … The worst thing that could happen would be to have to play that game in Tampa tomorrow… But the Rays are not going to come back from 7-0 with an inning-and-a-half to go.”
Well, that’s not quite the worst thing that could happen, Dan. At least for you. Of course the Rays came back to tie it in the ninth and win in the 12th, and the Red Sox lost, ending Boston’s season. Prompting Shaughnessy to write this following the game:
This feels like revenge for 2004 and 2007. It is as if the baseball gods are punishing Red Sox Nation for hubris and arrogance and good times that seemed so good, so good, so good.
You mean like the hubris and arrogance of calling a game in the eighth inning?
VIDEO: Dan Shaughnessy Knows The Sox Have This Game Won [SB Nation]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1