Sep 28, 2011, 4:49 PM EST
[From Thinkable Results] The Bulls’ Derrick Rose surprised 100 kids from his alma mater, Randolph Elementary School, on Tuesday when he showed up to help POWERADE unveil renovated basketball courts at his childhood park – Murray Park Playground on the South Side of Chicago.
To recognize the athlete’s journey from the Englewood neighborhood to MVP, and to help Rose pay homage to his hometown, POWERADE donated $20,000 to the Chicago Park District following Rose’s incredible 2011 season. The donations helped kick-start efforts to restore the courts at Murray Park Playground, where Rose honed his hoops skills growing up. Rose unveiled the new courts at an event in front of family, friends, local dignitaries and dozens of elementary school students.
“It’s emotional just being here (at Murray Park),” Rose said. “My house growing up is just two blocks away.” [More at NBC Chicago]
- Tide Pryority: Trent Richardson Has 23 Tattoos!?! As an Alabama football star, Trent Richardson is likely aware there’s a fine line between a quiet off-field life and one rife with controversy. So how does Richardson manage his time when outside the lines? The Crimson Tide Heisman Trophy candidate provided insight into his off-field priorities while appearing on The Chris Vernon Show on 730 Fox Sports Memphis last July. [SportsbyBrooks]
- Les Bowen Punched Jeff McLane Today. [Crossing Broad]
- Historian Taylor Branch Predicts Revolt Against NCAA Within the Next Five Years. [Sports Radio Interviews]
- Twins First Base Coach Gets Hit With Foul Ball, Players Laugh. [Outside the Boxscore]
- Catching hell; feeling shame [Rumors & Rants]
Blogdome is a many splendored thing. Contact: Rickchand@gmail.com.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found