Sep 26, 2011, 9:41 AM EST
This happened a couple weeks back, but sneaked under the radar: possibly because there’s nothing about arguing with the chair umpire, wearing god-awful flashy outfits or spiking balls into the stands. So with that in mind, here’s Esther Vergeer of the Netherlands, who is still the goddess of wheelchair tennis. Her 6-2, 6-1 victory over Aniek Van Kootwon in the 2011 U.S. Open Wheelchair Women’s Singles Championship on Sept. 11 was her 429th consecutive win in singles match play, an unbeaten string that goes to January of 2003. It was also her 19th consecutive Grand Slam singles title.
But you knew all that. Or, at least you knew that she posed nude for ESPN the Magazine last year.
From Long Island Tennis Magazine:
Vergeer has a career singles record of 651-25. She has won: 429 consecutive matches, 110 straight tournaments, 11 ITF World Champion titles, five Paralympic gold medals (three singles and two doubles), and six U.S. Open titles.
The message that Vergeer wants to send to others is, “There are things in life you don’t plan for and that come unexpectedly. But, it is all about how you deal with that. You are the one that can make something out of your life.”
Like I said, this isn’t your typical tennis story. It’s about 100 times more inspiring.
Esther Vergeer Wins 429th Consecutive Match at 2011 U.S. Open Title [Long Island Tennis Magazine]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found