Sep 22, 2011, 10:06 AM EST
I’m amazed that this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often in competitive eating: A Ukrainian man ate 10 dumplings in half a minute to win first place in a contest, then died, according to local news reports. Ivan Mendel, 77 (there’s your problem) was competing in the town of Tokmak, in the southeastern Zaporizhya region. And here’s your not-likely-to-be-duplicated-ever lead paragraph of the year:
KIEV (Reuters)- A 77-year-old Ukrainian man won a jar full of sour cream for coming first in a dumpling eating contest and then promptly died, local media reported on Wednesday.
Ah, the coveted Croix de Sour Cream.
According to organisers of last weekend’s contest, the dumplings used were filled with potatoes and had been bought from a local supermarket.
They have refuted suggestions the contest killed Mr Mendel.
Oh, of course not. It was just coincidence that a 77-year-old man ate 10 dumplings in half a minute then immediately keeled over dead.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found