Sep 21, 2011, 2:36 PM EDT
Yep, you know childhood — one minute you’re sharing your Graham crackers with your best pal during recess, the next you’ve got him in a rear naked choke submission hold. How young is too young to climb into the Thunderdome? At least one club in England is staging cage fights between eight-year-olds, and amazingly, some have a problem with this. A YouTube video of one such bout was bouncing around the Internets this morning, and was pelted with condemnation — including rebukes by Child Protection Awareness and the British Medical Association — before being taken down an hour or two ago.
In the video, two boys could be seen grappling and flinging each other to the canvas — with no gloves or padding — trying to put each other into a variety of sleeper holds and headlocks. At one point, one of the boys appears to be crying. A crowd of adults are cheering them on, and, my favorite part: a scantily-clad ring girl parades across the ring between rounds.
Michelle Anderson, owner of Greenlands Labour Club, who attended the event, defended the spectacle, saying: “There was nothing wrong with it.
“The kids were there to fight, they have fought before. The parents were there. Would people rather these kids were out on the streets with guns and knives?”
Um, are those my only two choices?
The YouTube video — shot at a sold-out ticket-only event at Greenlands Labour Club in Preston, Lancashire, England, is now gone, but here’s a video that’s still working. Most of it’s been blurred to conceal the kids’ identities. Although if I were a seasoned kid cage fighter, I’d want my friends to know about it.
Youth cagefighting has been growing more popular in England and the U.S. for some time, actually. Many bouts involve children as young as six, and allow striking — although those participants also wear padding. Here’s a video from 2007, which I call UFC 9 1/2: Leggo My Eggo.
Children filmed in ‘disturbing cage fight’ [London Telegraph]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: I'll Have Another wins the Preakness
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: Shackleford holds off Animal Kingdom
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness
- Play Video: Lookin At Lucky wins Preakness