Sep 16, 2011, 10:48 AM EDT
In what seemed at first to be just another idle threat by these guys, there now seems to be a very real chance that David Beckham could be playing in France, for Ligue 1 club Paris Saint-Germain. Beckham’s stay with the Los Angeles Galaxy, while interesting, hasn’t exactly propelled soccer to the top of the heap of American sports. He’s in the final year of his contract with the Galaxy, and will be a free agent in November. On Thursday, Paris Saint-Germain sporting director Leonardo said that he’d love to have Beckham … on Beckham’s terms.
“He is more than a football player, but when you see him every day he trains and plays like a kid,” Leonardo said. “He is someone that I really appreciate and admire so much. His values and everything he has done in football.”
Asked whether the Qatari-owned club would consider signing Beckham, Leonardo said: “The door is open. He is more than a football player — he’s a brand, a pop star. I would always consider him.”
The term “Qatari-owned” should indicate that the French team has pockets deep enough to do it. After being purchased by Qatar Sports Investments recently, during the summer, the team has spent lavishly on players such as Argentina’s Javier Pastore.
And, of course, dangling Paris in front of Victoria Beckham is like holding a piece of raw steak in front of a wolf. So I say this is going to happen.
PSG interested in signing Beckham [France24]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement