Sep 15, 2011, 5:39 PM EDT
It was the shortest reign in mascot history, shorter even than the SF Giants’ Crazy Crab. For a couple of brief, shining hours in June, the Amarillo Sock (pictured) frollicked at Amarillo National Bank Stadium, terrorizing children and reminding adults that we indeed now live in the age of Viagra. But it just didn’t look right, somehow. They even tried putting a shoe on it … nope, that didn’t work.
The Sock was fired even before the game was over that day, and now the Amarillo Sox baseball team (Independent American Association) are placing the infamous mascot costume on eBay. The auction will end on Sept 25 at 11 a.m. Central.
The starting bid for the costume will be $5,000 with the auction expiring on September 25 unless the “Buy It Now” price of $25,000 is paid for before hand. Shipping is free. A portion of the proceeds will go to charity.
“Father O’Malley, the postman just delivered a package. The other sisters and I will just open it and … oh my God!”
Sox to auction off notorious mascot costume for charity [Lewp's Weblog]
Sox to auction off notorious mascot for charity [Ballpark Digest]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming