Sep 14, 2011, 10:05 AM EDT
Someone must have showed Serena Williams the tape of her U.S. Open singles final with Sam Stosur, and the wild rant on chair umpire Eva Asderaki contained within. Like with a drunk following a bender, there was instant regret. Williams, on Twitter this morning:
My emotions did get the best of me this past weekend when I disagreed with the umpire. It has been a long road to get back to the US Open this year, and I am thankful to have had such a great two weeks in New York.
Williams was fined $2,000 for verbally abusing Asderaki.
The above can hardly be called an apology, however. That would have been something like: “So sorry for the way I handled things at the U.S. Open on that disputed point. I would like to apologize to Eva Asderaki for some of the mean things I said. I acted like a real diva.”
But, no. That’s not going to happen.
Meanwhile, we also found these posts on Williams’ Twitter account, which are much more troubling:
Karaoke for life
Tks @Venuseswilliams @KimKardashian @lala @ciara for coming and supporting me on this US Open Journey. You guys are amazing. Love you.
Serena Williams On U.S. Open Outburst: ‘Emotions Did Get The Best Of Me’ [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery