Sep 14, 2011, 1:06 PM EDT
A Cincinnati high school football coach angrily confronted the opposing student rooting section in response to the fans’ chants of “We’ve got Jesus!” immediately following their game on Friday. Tom Bolden, head coach of Cincinnati (Ohio) Colerain, reacted with fury at the chant by fans of inner-city rival St. Xavier Catholic following St. Xavier’s 17-14 win.
“That’s where I’ve got to draw the line,” Bolden told the Cincinnati Enquirer about the postgame chant. “[The St. X student section] ought to be embarrassed.”
Of course, Bolden did more than just speak out against the Bombers’ student fans. According to one Enquirer staff writer, the Cardinals head coach charged out of his team’s huddle following the loss and yelled at the opposing student section in anger.
According to the Enquirer, the St. Xavier chant came in response to an earlier chant by the Colerain student section of “We’ve got girls!” Xavier is an all-male, Jesuit school.
Nothing new, this. The “We’ve got girls” vs. “We’ve got Jesus” war between public and Catholic school rooting sections has been happening for decades … as Tom Brady (from Catholic Serra High in San Mateo, Calif.) can tell you. Of course, Brady can say that he got both.
Anyway, the real issue here is when the chant took place. Pretty much all is fair during the heat of battle, I guess. But when the game is over, a little sportsmanship is in order. You don’t rub it in.
Also of note: Xavier won when Colerain missed a 45-yard field goal attempt in the final minute of the game. Maybe they did have Jesus …
Email to the Enquirer from an Xavier fan:
“The sad reality of this situation is that our entire faculty has absolutely handcuffed us in terms of what we are and aren’t allowed to chant because they are so worried about our public relations, and the chants that our student section chant are nothing compared to what the teams we play are able to stay us. How about you report on the constant anti-gay chants we have to deal with week in and week out?”
Catholic school upsets foe with ‘We’ve got Jesus’ chant [Prep Rally]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final