Sep 14, 2011, 5:41 PM EDT
How would history have been different if Christopher Columbus had been wearing a Bill Belichick hooded sweatshirt when he discovered the New World? The answer is shrouded in mystery … although it’s almost certain that Chad Ochocinco would have tweeted something about it.
Come to think of it, Columbus looks a little P.O.ed here. “Yeah, we found some islands. But I was looking for China.” (Throws headset).
Here are the facts as I know them: the Boston Parks & Rec Dept. is dressing several city statues in Belichick hoodies as publicity for the NFL Network’s documentary Bill Belichick: A Football Life, to premiere Thursday night. The Boston Globe:
Among the figures to be adorned: Mayor James Michael Curley, whose iron-fisted rule presaged Belichick’s reign over the Pats; Christopher Columbus, who led Europeans to the New World, as Belichick would lead New England to the Super Bowl; John Singleton Copley, a leading Colonial artist, whose skilled brushwork evokes Belichick’s pinpoint play-calling.
The hoodie will also appear on the tortoise and hare statues in Copley Square — no clue as to any Belichick connection there.
In return for the publicity, NFL Network is making a donation to the Parks and Rec Dept. to help fund restoration of Boston statues.
Famed Boston statues to get hoodie treatment [Boston Globe]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Play Video: Oxbow wins Preakness Stakes, Orb finishes fourth
- Play Video: Traditions of the Preakness Stakes
- Play Video: Konig takes Stage 7, van Garderen retains overall lead
- Play Video: NBC Sports Live Extra tutorial
- Play Video: Carpenter wins Indy 500 pole
- Play Video: Gary Stevens wins third Preakness