Sep 12, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
As teams of linguists from several major universities labored to unravel her strange rantings on Sunday, Serena Williams was fined $2,000 by the U.S. Open rules committee for her outburst at chair umpire Eva Asderaki.
Tournament referee Brian Earley issued his ruling a day after Williams was cited by chair umpire Eva Asderaki for a code violation for verbal abuse during a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Sam Stosur in the women’s singles championship match at Flushing Meadows.
It was a wonderful way to commemorate the 10-year anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, wasn’t it folks?
In the first game of the second set, Asderaki ruled that Williams yelled while her opponent was delivering a backhand, and awarded the point to Stosur. That set off a bizarre rant by Williams toward the umpire, the highlight of which was this:
“You’re totally out of control. You’re a hater and you’re just unattractive inside.”
If she had added “winning” to that, it could have been a Charlie Sheen quote. Anyway, anyone with Rosetta Stone know what she was talking about?
Transcript of Williams’ other babblings:
“I don’t understand.”
“I’m not giving her that game. If anything, we need a replay.”
“Aren’t you the one that screwed me over last time here? Yeah you are.”
“Seriously, you have it out for me?”
“I promise you, that’s not cool. That’s totally not cool.”
“I truly despise you.”
“If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way because you’re out of control, you’re out of control.”
“Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser.”
“You get a code violation because I express who I am. We’re in America last I checked.”
“Can I get a water? Or am I going to get violated for a water?”
“Really, don’t even look at me. I promise you don’t look at me because I am not … Don’t look my way.”
Williams claimed after the match that she didn’t even remember what she said, then declined to discuss the incident further.
My only regret is that Alec Baldwin had to hear that display.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final