Sep 12, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
Let the record show that both Alex Smith and Rex Grossman are 1-0 this season. But if not for Ted Ginn Jr., that former name might be 0-1. Ginn’s two kick returns for touchdowns — 102 yards on a kickoff return, 55 yards on a punt return — during a 59-second span of the fourth quarter propelled the 49ers to a 33-17 win over the Seahawks in the “What’s Your Deal II” showdown at Candlestick Park.
Earlier in the week, Ginn accepted a pay cut dropping his salary from $2.2 million to $1 million. The move presumably kept him on the roster. And it’s a good thing he was around Sunday considering his 268 return yards surpassed the total of the Niners’ inert offense.
Specifically, Ginn will now make $1 million in 2011, with $400,000 available in incentives. His old contract had him at $1.4 million in base salary in 2011, with $2.9 million in incentives. He had a $1.8 million base for 2012.
Ginn had just 12 receptions for 163 yards and one touchdowns for the 49ers last season, and his biggest season in three years with the Dolphins was 2008, when he had 56 catches for 790 yards and two scores. However he doesn’t seem to have lost any speed. Niners’ receiver Joshua Morgan: “When he was born, he ran out of his mother. Ran a 4.1, for real.”
By the way, the highly-anticipated post-game handshake between Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll went off without hostilities.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte