Sep 12, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
What do you do if you’re a 16-year-old black belt who has just lost a match in a competitive taekwondo tournament? You wait until 20 minutes later, sneak up on the winner who is sitting in a chair, and then deliver a roundhouse kick to his face, shattering his jaw. That’s what Joshua Pena did recently following a match in San Jose, and last week the Florida native was convicted of felony aggravated assault. Because he is a minor, he’ll serve up to eight months in a youth work camp.
The victim, identified only as Dino M., spoke over the video feed from his Long Island home about the devastating and unprovoked attack. Although he is expected to recover completely, he still suffers form post-concussion headaches and doctors say he may lose all of his remaining teeth.
About 20 minutes after the match, the boy was sitting down watching another match. Pena walked by, let out a martial arts yell and delivered a roundhouse kick to Dino’s mouth, shattering his teeth, smashing his jaw and sending him into surgery.
Doctors later told the victim’s parents and coach that the kick could have killed him.
Pena, a junior at a Miami-area public school, is a straight-A student who has never been in trouble wit the law previously. But the most amazing part of this story to me is contained here:
Pena will stop practicing martial arts for at least a year and may be banned from taekwondo.
May be banned? What does one have to do, I wonder, to be immediately banned?
More info on the attack here. It seems that after the attack, Pena tried to run away, but the victim’s coach tackled him and held him for police.
Black belt gets 8 months for brutal kick at San Jose match [San Jose Mercury News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires