Aug 31, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Larry Brown Sports took a visit to Knuckleheadz Gym in Ventura, Calif., on Tuesday to observe a Victor Ortiz workout as he prepares for his fight with Floyd Mayweather on Sept. 17. And guess what he found attached to Ortiz’s punching bag? Nothing is more inspirational than punching Money holding a title belt on a daily basis. That must be why Ortiz is in the greatest shape of his life, according to observers.
Of course, cardboard Mayweather doesn’t punch back, or dance around to avoid contact. He’s also mercifully quiet. Best part:
Ortiz was his usual affable self, spending time with children from the Big Brothers and Big Sisters program prior to his media workout. He cracked jokes, asked them personal questions, and related to them on an individual level. To give you a flavor of their conversation, when Ortiz asked what they wanted to do when they get older, one answered “Go to a strip club!”
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while out on the town with your giant inflatable banana …
- Formula One’s Jenson Button does donuts with his McLaren.
- Padres’ Tim Stauffer has historically bad outing, becoming first pitcher since 2006 to walk six batters in one inning.
- Shaq finding it difficult to keep occupied in retirement.
- Fat Grover tries to dunk, fails miserably.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Gah! Unnecessary closeup!
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found