Aug 25, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
In news guaranteed to make you squirm, the Gravette (Ark.) High School football team’s practice was canceled recently when one of its players, senior Darrick Strzelecki, found a snake in his helmet. Make no mistake: the snake was in the helmet while Strzelecki was wearing it during practice. Oh yeah. That’s 50 points deducted from Slytherin House.
Strzelecki said he felt something odd in his helmet during practice Tuesday, but thought it was only a tangled lock of hair or sweat beading up as the team worked on extra points.
“I kept hitting, and it just kept bothering me,” Strzelecki told the Benton County Daily Record. During a break about 15 minutes into practice, Strzelecki took off his helmet and initially believed his teammates were teasing him.
“It looked like a rubber snake, and I thought somebody had pulled a practical joke on me,” he said. “When I grabbed it by the tail, that’s when it jerked, and I dropped the helmet.”
Snake: Not venomous. Player: Still creeped out. Story: Still awesome.
Gravette High is now changing its team name from the Lions to the Mongooses. Or, they should.
Snake in a helmet: Ark. player startled by serpent [Associated Press]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final