Aug 23, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
Bethany College is a small Lutheran school in Lindsborg, Kansas, but their men’s golf team has big ambitions. To that end they put out a team calendar this year. And what he hell, why not make it nude? All 15 members of the team posed starkers with strategically placed golf clubs to cover their genitals.
The athletic director was not impressed. And since he’s also the golf coach, that spelled trouble. Jon Daniels suspended the team for three tournaments because of the picture, which also ended up on Facebook.
Daniels was caught by surprise when someone e-mailed him the photo.
“I had no idea they were doing it,” Daniels said. “After one of (the golfers) put it on Facebook, then it got sent to me.
“I’ve been around a long time and I think this is a case of young people who just don’t think beyond the moment and don’t realize who they’re hurting.”
Exactly who were they hurting, again? The answer is unclear. In fact, this is a bonanza for sports bloggers — the golf-related jokes are endless. Just start with ball washer and go from there.
“Until someone sat them down and explained that they did something wrong, they didn’t have any idea,” Daniels said. “But I think they understand now.”
Oh really? Then why did team captain Jack Hiscock tell KAKE News that the team would appeal the suspension to the school president?
This is a bid deal for Bethany, which has won 11 of the past 15 KCAC championships. They compete in the NAIA.
Hey, their nickname is The Swedes. Nudity was inevitable.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while rushing home for dinner …
- Rangers fan celebrates by knocking off his girlfriend’s Red Sox cap.
- Dang it! This happens every time Joe Girardi tries to call tech support.
- Miami: America’s most accursed sports town.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Sergeant McQueen looks pretty much how I thought he would look.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found