Aug 21, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
The NCAA rulebook has enough rules, laws, and bylaws to make a law student’s head spin. So, it’s not surprising that there are some rules or bylaws that don’t make any sense whatsoever.
Recently, one rule that came under fire was the infamous “cream cheese rule” which prevented recruits from receiving such things as butter or cream cheese spreads without the university possibly receiving a minor violation. Finally with a new year ahead, the Big East decided to question the rule and it will be overturned during next year’s NCAA legislative meetings:
NCAA cream cheese will be allowed in a new set of revisions to the NCAA’s 434-page rulebook, according to president Mark Emmert. The rules currently allow schools to provide bagels, but prohibit them from providing spreads such as cream cheese, butter, or jelly.
“We all agree the NCAA rulebook needs some serious editing,” Emmert said, “The rules are in some cases too complex, unenforceable, in some ways convoluted and in some ways even irrelevant. We will, in short order, bring back a set of revisions that will do two things: Clean up the ancillary issues and focus attention on things that are a serious threat.”
For once, the NCAA has its priorities in order. Give me my cream cheese or give me my freedom!
NCAA Cream Cheese To Be Allowed [ThirdAge]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million