Aug 19, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
Is Elin Nordegren really a single mom? That’s the question on Twitter today, as this is getting retweeted quite a bit: RT @KennethWareJr: The media is calling Tiger Woods’ ex-wife Elin Nordegren a “single mom.” I personally think that is disrespectful to ALL REAL “single moms.”
Anyone who has grown up in a single parent household knows that it’s no day on a yacht, unless you happen to be the two children of Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren. Yes, their folks are divorced, but “Whose mansion are we sleeping in this weekend?” doesn’t generate a lot of sympathy. And I’m pretty sure Elin can make the rent this month.
But is anyone in the media really referring to Elin as a “single mom”? I had my doubts, so I did a quick Google check. And sure enough, on the first page alone looking for “Elin+Nordegren+single+mom, I came up with this, this, and this.
Radar Online even calls Nordegren “one of the sexiest single moms in the world.” And over at Holly Baby we’ve got a doozy: The magazine not only refers to Elin as a single mom, but it’s under the headline: Tiger Woods Says Being A Single Parent Is ‘Tough.’
I’ll bet. You’re just like Will Smith in The Pursuit of Happyness.
But while I’m merely bemused by this, some folks are downright angry:
@KennethWareJr. — Elin Nordegren has $100 million plus Tiger Woods is in the children’s lives. It is ludicrous to label her a “single mom.” STOP IT MEDIA!
In my experience, a random guy demanding the media “STOP IT” usually works. Expect tabloid sites to amend their ways by the weekend.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million