Aug 16, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
I feel pretty safe in assuming that no pro sports team has a statue honoring a fan who has died at one of their games — until now. The Texas Rangers announced on Monday that they’re planning to erect a statue in honor of Shannon Stone, the man who died after a fall from the stands during a game at Rangers Ballpark on July 7. From the Dallas Morning News:
CEO and club president Nolan Ryan said he … hopes to have the statue in place by opening day, 2012. It will serve as both a memorial to Stone, 39, and as a tribute to Rangers fans in general.
“I want for people to remember Shannon and Cooper [Stone's son who accompanied him to the game],” Ryan said. “And I want our fans to know that they represent what we are all about, about family entertainment and making memories.”
The sculpture will be third piece of statuary at Rangers Ballpark, but the first placed outside the park. Statues of Ryan and Tom Vandergriff are located in Vandergriff Plaza behind center field.
The new bronze statue would be placed near the home plate gate. This is either an awesome, heartfelt move on the part of Ryan and the Rangers, or a very weird, macabre one. I haven’t decided, and probably won’t until I see it.
Shannon Stone, Rangers Fan Who Died From Fall At Ballpark, To Get Statue As Memorial [Huffington Post]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona