Aug 15, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
We take you now to the Jessamine County (Ken.) Fair, where Nicholasville police say 36-year-old David Warner was driving suspiciously all evening. Weaving, colliding with other cars: he was a menace. So they detained him and sure enough, he was drunk. So they charged him with DUI. Oh, did I mention Warner was driving in the fair’s demolition derby at the time?
Police say that they received complaints about Warner’s driving during the derby itself, so they waited until it was over, and approached him when he got out of his car. Police say he was “staggering,” and having trouble standing up. So they gave him a sobriety test and arrested him for DUI.
Of course Warner won the event. Yep. But that didn’t impress the County Fair president.
“The young man has no future here as far as events. He will not be allowed to participate in any event on these fairgrounds,” Jessamine County Fair board president Jay Bruner said.
Warner talked to NEWSFIRST Thursday afternoon saying he was unfairly treated, and called the charge ridiculous.
“I mean, I’m not denying I wasn’t drinking by no means, but I was not drunk. I was under the limit,” Warner said. Warner claims he drank a few beers before hitting the track, to “loosen me up,” but he said it wasn’t enough to warrant a DUI.
“I’m not perfect, but this has gone too far, and I will fight it,” he said.
I guess the way you can tell that a demolition derby driver is drunk is that he’s the one using his turn signal and not crashing into other cars.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you missed while being let down by your GPS navigation system for the final time …
- Why we love baseball. H/T SB Nation.
- Eleven-year-old Minnesota kid shoots 3-inch puck into 3 1/2-inch slot to win $50,000 at charity hockey event.
- To save time, The Washington Nationals should just sign Huntington Beach pitcher Hagen Danner right now.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
Panel 1: I’m fairly confident that sentence has never actually been uttered in the history of mankind.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found