Aug 9, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
Star Wars promotions have long been a staple of Minor League Baseball, but rarely does the George Lucas universe venture into the MLB realm. That all changes on Sept. 4 when the San Francisco Giants present Star Wars Day at AT&T, which includes this pretty interesting giveaway item. Yep, it’s a statue of reliever Brian Wilson frozen in carbonite. I have no problem imagining Emperor Palpatine (MLB owners) ordering this, or Darth Vader (Bud Selig) carrying it out. But I have a hard time picturing Wilson sitting still long enough for such a procedure. From the Giants web site:
The giveaway item included with the Star Wars special event ticket is “Brian Wilson in Carbonite” statue. The statue is three sided, with one side featuring the iconic Han Solo in carbonite pose featured in “The Empire Strikes Back.” A second side features Brian Wilson, in his trademark post-save celebration pose, frozen in carbonite similar to Han. The third side features graphics celebrating the Giants and Star Wars.
Personally I would have preferred the iconic Hope Solo, but you take what you can get.
Kudos to the Giants, however, for continuing to think creatively even though they don’t have to. With 58 straight sellouts dating to last year, the team needn’t suffer Ewoks running amok in its aisles at all. But they will.
Oh, and there will also be pregame costume contest and a post-game screening of The Empire Strikes Back. Just imagine Carlos Beltran playing the part of Luke when he’s fitted with that mechanical hand.
San Francisco Giants ‘Star Wars Day’ Includes Brian Wilson in Carbonite Statue [The Last Angry Fan]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games