Aug 8, 2011, 1:25 PM EDT
Rashad Evans earned another shot at the UFC light heavyweight championship with his win over Tito Ortiz on Saturday, but it was Brian Ebersole who made UFC history. Ebersole became the first man to earn “submission of the night” while winning via TKO. No, seriously.
Ebersole won his second fight in the UFC, topping veteran Dennis Hallman. But Hallman topped Ebersole in attention grabbing, which is no easy task when fighting a man who shaves an arrow into his chest hair. Hallman entered the Octagon with some of the shorter short shorts the UFC has ever seen. The tiny, blue Speedos got amused laughs from many, but not the big boss man.
“I don’t know if I was offended, but I was horrified,” UFC President Dana White told MMAFighting.com’s Ariel Helwani. “Those shorts tonight crossed the line. I was grossed out by it.”
Hence, the vacant submission bonus was awarded.
“It was the ‘holy s— horrified thank you for getting those trunks off TV as soon as possible’ bonus,” White said.
Ebersole, on the other hand, was one of those able to find the humor in the wardrobe choice.
“I was just worried about his cup and worried about his uniform malfunctioning,” Ebersole said.
“I’ve wrestled my whole life. It is what it is. It didn’t throw me off too much. Just him having my back with that big cup that early kind of scared me because I knew he’d have a lot of vigor and a lot of energy. I didn’t really want a young, vital guy back there.”
White insisted he was dead serious about banning the shorts from future competition. That could be an overreaction. You certainly don’t want anyone to be “exposed” during a fight, which Hallman briefly was, but I don’t imagine too many fighters trying to follow in Hallman’s footsteps. Then again, God forbid someone tries to outdo him if you don’t put it in ink. To me, it was mostly funny, but I do think he reached the absolute limit of what can be considered acceptable.
Previously on The Beatdown …
Tim Gilmour is a sports reporter and author of the humor blog LetMeThinkForYou.com. His column appears each Monday. For more NBCSports.com MMA coverage, click here.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Highlights: Burkman shocks Fitch
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Highlights: Rask shuts out Blackhawks, 2-0
- Play Video: Does 'Hard Knocks' make sense for Bengals?
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: The Hype: Beckham to the NFL?