Radio host Tony Bruno calls Giants pitcher ‘illegal alien’ on Twitter

Aug 7, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT

Back on Friday night, The San Francisco Giants and the Philadelphia Phillies had rather sizable brawl that ended with some punches being thrown and benches clearing.

Fox Sports radio personality Tony Bruno who is a Philadelphia Phillies fan did not take kindly to Giants pitcher Ramon Ramirez throwing the ball in the vicinity of Phillies outfielder, Shane Victorino. So, Bruno took to the Twitter to voice his opinion:

gutless #!@%*# Giants. Bochy is a coward for having his illegal alien pitcher hit a guy since mighty Frisco boys …”

Obviously, many San Francisco Giants fans didn’t take to kindly to Bruno’s words and Bruno had to put together an apology on Facebook but in terms of an apology, it wasn’t a very good one:

“I did remove my post and apologize for my comments regarding illegal aliens. I was angry and on the air and I stand behind my comments that Bruce Bochy is a coward, as are all managers who order pitchers to throw at guys just because their pitchers can’t get a guy out. All of you people resorting to name calling are more classless and vile.”

No word yet if Bruno is going to be punished for his Tweet but it brings us back to the most important lesson of Twitter, “Think before you post”.

***

Tony Bruno sends “illegal alien” tweet about the Giants [San Francisco Chronicle]

1. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I’m a Philly fan, and I don’t disagree with you bashing Tony Bruno one bit. He makes Philly sports talk radio almost unlistenable, and puts his own political views into conversation more often than he should. He just gave the rest of the media another reason to point a finger at Philly sports fans, and I hope he loses his job. Thanks for posting this. The more people that know about this, the better the chances he’s no longer on air come Monday.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Aug 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM

It’s people like Mr. Bruno who give us Philadelphians a bad rep. I agree with my friend, the dude needs to get off the air. Main reason why I don’t listen to that station. There really is only one true sports talk radio station in Philly.

• etc4779 - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Yeah right….he didn’t make that philly fan intentionally throw up on a opposing fan. He didn’t make you fans throw batteries at players. He didn’t tell you be total jack wagons at your sports games. He is not telling you guys to try to start fights with any and all opposing fans who live in your city and just want to go to a game and watch their team play.

Yeah, let’s try and put all of the blame on a d. bag radio host who only mirrors what all Philly fans resemble. Pathetic.

2. firerosenthalthebastard - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I live in the Bay Area and listen to Tony Bruno… the communists will surely try to get him fired for this one.

3. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM

This is why people hate the phillies, even their announcers are obnoxious. personally i hope someone put a ball right in Victorino’s ear for him that punk. Id say drill howard but he’s so fat i dont think he would feel it

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 8, 2011 at 7:51 AM

What do you know, an obnoxious comment by dirtyharry1971. Personally, I am shocked.

4. nolliabed - Aug 7, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Why should he apologize for comments regarding illegal aliens????? Wake up people! All he did was call an “illegal alien and illegal alien”, which is exactly what he is………….an illegal alien. God this country has turned into the biggest bunch of pansies. Oh please don’t hurt my feelings……even if I’m breaking the law by being here ILLEGALLY! Come on America; grow a set for Gods sake.

• joelgold - Aug 7, 2011 at 7:42 PM

He didn’t call an illegal alien an illegal alien! Because he was pissed off he called a legal member of the Giants an illegal alien because he is hispanic. I’ve got no problem with him stating his opinion even if I disagree with it but being racist is intolerable. And in his apology he says that people resorting to name calling are classless and vile? I think Tony is leading the way on that one. His morning spot on KNBR, the Giants flagship station, ought to be interesting Monday morning…….

• cleanslaton - Aug 8, 2011 at 11:31 AM

calling someone an illegal alien isn’t racist, dummy. It only has to do with citizenship status. To the uneducated, ‘illegal alien’ means ‘border jumper’, also implying that illegal aliens can only be hispanic. NOT TRUE.

Tony Bruno didn’t make any reference to ethnicity, nor do I think he would as a man of Italian descent, which our society has prejudices against too. The dude was just pissed that a guy threw at one of his favorite players without first knowing what his citizenship status was. He CAN be punished as a public figure, but he shouldn’t be.

• radiopirate - Aug 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM

You are a moron. Ramirez in obviously in the US legally or he wouldn’t be on a Major league roster. He works for an American business entity, the San Francisco Giants, and draws a weekly paycheck, from which he pays taxes… probably more than you, too, because, aside from GW Bush, people as stupid and as racist as you generally only work on parade days, sweeping up after the equestrian corps.

• cleanslaton - Aug 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM

He’s here on a work visa, again, and not a citizen. Bruno’s comments were NOT RACIST. It doesn’t matter what race or ethnicity you are if you aren’t a citizen or don’t have a work visa–anyone here without either aforementioned status is an illegal alien. Often the first people to cry ‘racism’ are doing so to alleviate themselves of racist guilt.

5. 1historian - Aug 7, 2011 at 4:54 PM

These people are paid to

6. 1historian - Aug 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM

These people are not paid to THINK. They are paid to rile people up, which is not an occupation requiring any sort of I.Q.

7. 1paulkemp1 - Aug 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM

#Moron

8. jamie54 - Aug 7, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Dare FOX to fire him. They’ll apologize to all Giant fans, etc, but hey, it is FOX after all.

9. cleanslaton - Aug 8, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Philadelphians are who give Philadelphians a bad name.

case in point: My plane lands from Texas & I get in a cab at PIA, going to visit my sister who was attending Temple U at the time. I am wearing an Astro’s hat [I am doomed to root for them for life unfortunately], and my cab driver says to me, ‘You’re an Astro’s fan? They F___ing suck!’

The year was 2005 and the Astros went to the World Series, so the cabbie was dumb AND offensive. That’s just a microcosm of my personal experience with Philadelphians. I’ve also seen all the riotous, drunken, battery-throwing stuff on TV too, which further cements the reputation Philly has garnered.

Tony Bruno is a good radio host and is funny too. A better choice of words would have been ideal to voice his disapproval of what happened, obviously. However, foreign players don’t become US citizens the moment that they put on an MLB uniform [and that goes for the Blue Jays & Canadian citizenship too]. Foreign players are here, representing their countries, on work visas. They can be deported, conversely–they can come here claiming ‘political asylum’ and other semi-true things in order to play baseball in a country that their homeland wouldn’t let them. Players can be charged for violent crimes in games–their pro athlete status doesn’t protect them from crimes they commit on the field. A good lawyer could argue that the pitcher was intentionally trying to hurt the batter with the smallest amount of credible evidence. In such a situation, Tony Bruno would be right. Since Bochy DID have Ramirez throw at Victorino [and I hate Victorino as an Astro's fan--so I'm obviously not playing favorites], there is some merit to what he said. The correct term would’ve been ‘alien pitching on a work visa’, but that may have not fit into Twitter.

Keep Tony Bruno, he’s one of the ‘good’ Philadelphians.

• kingvorp - Aug 8, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Soooooo…”Philadelphians”, according to you, encompasses one cab driver and what you’ve seen on TV. I’m not saying we’re not rough around the edges, but please don’t disparage millions of us who would rather talk to you about the ‘Stros than curse at you.

10. etc4779 - Aug 11, 2011 at 9:19 AM

LEave it to a Philly to say or do something like this……Philly is the scum of the earth…..