Aug 1, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
NASCAR knows a good marketing opportunity when it sees one, and so — no matter how strange it may have appeared — U.S. women’s soccer team goalie Hope Solo was invited to drive the pace car at the Brickyard 400 on Sunday. And all went well except for one thing. “They only let me drive 55 (mph),” Solo complained. “I thought this was a racetrack! I had it up to over 100 in practice.”
Matthew Glenesk of Rumors and Rants was also there, and got some photos of Hope in the media room when she was doing interviews.
She was decked out in full NASCAR garb: jorts and cowboy boots. Though she pulls it off slightly better than the group filling the stands (well, not filling them). I did my best not to act like a creeper. But failed terribly. I hovered around the mob, loitered, took out my phone and snapped away.
This totally goes against George Costanza’s “When Worlds Collide” theory. They are fine on their own, but NASCAR and women’s soccer just should not mix.
ABOUT LAST NIGHT
What you’d get if the next SpongeBob SquarePants movie were directed by Quentin Tarantino …
- The whirlybird strikeout is the best kind of strikeout.
- If you slice your ball into the woods at the Burlingame golf course, just take a penalty and move on, because brother, that ball is gone.
- Triathlons are fun, except for all the sharks.
TODAY IN MARK TRAIL …
The goose would prefer not to be involved in another lame Mark Trail story arc.
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1