Jul 31, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
After the Expos left for Washington D.C., the odds that Montreal would ever get a chance to lure a Major League Baseball team back to the city would be on the level of no way and Youppi!
Well, there are rumors of a group of investors expressing interest in getting a Major League Baseball team back to “The City of Saints” and those rumors is being spread by former French-language Expos broadcaster, Rodger Brulotte:
Brulotte also posted the news on his RDS blog and was a guest Tuesday afternoon on Mitch Melnick’s radio show on The Team 990. Brulotte said he had rebuffed the group of investors several times over the last couple of years before finally taking them seriously.
Brulotte says the fact a recent Conference Board of Canada report declared Montreal could still support Major League Baseball under the right conditions led the unnamed group to publicly explore the city’s appetite for it.
In the current state of the Canadian economy and the fact that Winnipeg got it’s hockey team back, it’s not totally out of the realm of possibility. The group faces the same issues that Seattle does for an NBA team; they need a new stadium and they’ll have to lure a team in financial peril or get an expansion team from the MLB.
However, it would have been nice to see a group of investors done a little bit more to save the team when it was actually there but I guess trying to get one back is better late than never. Viva Los Expos!
Could Expos return to Montreal? [Montreal Gazette]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights