Jul 26, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
One of the great things about choosing swimming as your sport is that there isn’t a lot of expensive equipment involved. As long as you have your trunks, and maybe a set of nose plugs, you’re all set. Not a lot of stuff to remember to pack. So why is it that we get this photo from the Swimming World Championships on Tuesday, showing Michael Phelps in an Australian swimsuit?
Phelps and the U.S. finished third in the 400m freestyle relay on Sunday, and Tuesday morning he was beaten by teammate Ryan Lochte in the 200m freestyle.
Shortly before Tuesday’s loss, however, Phelps realized he had forgotten a crucial piece of equipment: his swimming trunks.
According to a Tweet from Australia’s Eamon Sullivan, Phelps forgot his warm-up trunks ahead of the third day of finals. Phelps’ apparent solution was to ask Sullivan if he could borrow his, who, according to the photo on the right, said yes.
Tweet from Sullivan about an hour before the 200m free:
“Had to loan forgetful @MichaelPhelps my training togs for his warm up tonight. Hope they bring good luck buddy… PS — you can keep them!”
They’re saying that Phelps’ head isn’t in this competition, nor it seems is the other end either.
Phelps and Lochte will face each other again in the 200 IM later in the meet.
In brief: Phelps forgets his swimming trunks [Universal Sports]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found