Jul 22, 2011, 12:53 PM EDT
I met Trevor Gretzky in 2008 when he was a sophomore at Oaks Christian High in Westlake Village, near Los Angeles. He was a receiver on the football team, where two of his teammates were QB Nick Montana (son of Joe) and WR Trey Smith (son of Will Smith). Trevor’s determination to avoid hockey so as not become The Son of The Great One has paid off, I guess. The Cubs selected the first baseman in the seventh round (219th overall pick) of the amateur draft.
Gretzky, a senior (pictured, right, with Steve Garvey’s son, Ryan), quarterbacked the Oaks Christian varsity early in the 2010 season but was sidelined with a shoulder injury. Gretzky is committed to San Diego State. Let’s see: Beach, sun, girls, campus celebrity status … vs. the Cubs. I’m guessing he goes to college. (Nope, sorry. He picked the Cubs. So long, beach babes).
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found