Jul 17, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Usually when most people name their race horses, they try to come up with either a funny name that the announcer will have to call out or they choose a dramatic name that will keep the horse named etched in time forever.
Recently, one group of trainers in New York decided to go against that conventional logic and name a two-year old colt after a favored son, NBA player and BYU stand-out, Jimmer Fredette.
Among the youngsters is a colt sure to be popular with local fans: Jimmer. The son of Elusive Quality is named for Glens Falls native and former BYU basketball star Jimmer Fredette, a top 10 pick in the NBA draft who is set to begin his career with the Sacramento Kings.
Pat Hammel, wife of Glens Falls basketball coach Tony Hammel, works on the barn staff for Bill Mott, who, along with Pletcher, is one of WinStar Farm’s top trainers. Pat Hammel suggested naming a colt after Fredette to WinStar president/CEO and racing manager Elliott Walden. WinStar liked the idea and chose this particular colt.
No word yet if the horse can hit a 30-foot jump shot.
A Horse Named Jimmer [That NBA Lottery Pick]
Uncle Mo, R Heat Lightning arrive at Saratoga [The Saratogian]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found