Jul 4, 2011, 12:44 PM EDT
It’s not as bad as Lil Wayne flying his flag shorts at half staff, but it’s still bad. Derek Jeter’s two-game rehab stint with the Trenton Thunder went off with no difficulties, save for this special edition jersey he had to wear on Sunday. If the Founding Fathers could have foreseen this, they might have skipped the entire thing.
Jeter played six innings and went 2-for-4 as the Thunder lost to the Altoona Curve 8-1, and heads to Cleveland tonight to rejoin the Yankees. Jeter, rehabbing an injured calf, helped the Thunder set a franchise attendance record on Sunday at 9,212. The previous record? May 23, 2007, when 9,134 showed up for a rehab assignment by Roger Clemens.
Jeter’s effort included a bunt single he called himself because, according to the New York Daily News, he couldn’t figure out the Thunders’ signs.
“The last two days, he’s had a chance to do a lot of different things – sliding into second base, beating out a bunt, some defensive plays that were challenging, or a stop-start play,” Brian Cashman said, adding that Jeter would have played another inning if the game hadn’t been halted by a rain delay. “There was a lot of different things to contest that calf. He passed with flying colors.”
Derek Jeter returning to New York Yankees after injury-free rehab assignment with Trenton Thunder [New York Daily News]
- So long folks, it’s time for me to take off 18
- Man wins full marathon while pushing his daughter in a baby stroller (video) 14
- Lock and load, it’s youth baseball fundraising time: league raffling off AR-15 rifle (video) 8
- Sim Bhullar is a large basketball player, and I mean it. Anybody want a peanut? 0
- What’s with kids and all these death-defying stunts? 674
- Nothing to see here…just a 70-yard field goal by a high-schooler (video) 3
- None found
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming